As you may have already read on practically all tech blogs and publications, the iPhone 4 has been launched! This post highlights the top new features of this new gadget. This phone will be available in-store June 24, and will be available in 16GB and 32GB models (Black or White)
- Completely flat, with a thicker edge that’s a band of stainless steel alloy (5X stronger than steel) that serves as the phone’s antenna.
- At 9.3 millimeters, it’s 34 percent thinner than the iPhone 3GS and is currently the thinnest smartphone on the market.
- “Retina Display”: Four times the depth of 3GS. 3.5-inch multitouch, with 960 by 640 resolution. 320 pixels per inch. 800:1 contrast ratio. Oleophobic coating.
- Front- and back-facing cameras. Back: 5-megapixel with LED flash, supports HD video. Front: VGA, up to 30fps.
- It has split circular buttons for volume.
- Second microphone for noise cancellation.
- Micro-SIM standard. (A normal Sim card from any maltese service provider will NOT fit!)
- Dimensions: 4.5 in. tall, 2.31 in. wide, 0.37 in. thick. Weight: 4.8 ounces. (a bit heavier than 3GS)
On the inside…
- Processor: Apple A4, the same chip used by the iPad.
- Battery: 16 percent bigger than 3GS; rated for 40 percent more talk time. Ratings: 7 hours talk; 6 hours 3G browsing; 10 hours Wi-Fi browsing; 10 hours video; 40 hours music; 300 hours standby.
- Three-axis gyroscope joins existing accelerometer and compass.
- Connectivity: UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only); Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
What about the software?
- iPhone OS has been renamed to iOS; the new version is iOS 4.
- Selective multitasking.
- App folders for home screen.
- FaceTime: videoconferencing over Wi-Fi.
- iMovie for iPhone, with up to 720p support.
- iBooks: purchases load to iPhone, iPod, iPad.
- Photo and video geotagging.
- Unified e-mail inbox.
- Home screen wallpaper.